A new skin serum seems to hit the shelves every day and claims to be the best at targeting a specific skin concern. Is it actually necessary to use so many products? Are the higher the intensity and more products better? We’re on a mission to eliminate unnecessary products in our homes and the first topic we’re tackling is face serums.
What are face serums?
Face serums are highly-concentrated skincare products that provide an extra boost of goodness for your skin concerns. They are typically water or oil-based. A common misconception is that facial oils are the same as face serums. They are not. In fact, facial oils target a completely different layer of skin. We’ll discuss facial oils in a future post.
The molecules used in face serums are smaller than those found in facial oils and moisturizers. Due to their size, they are able to penetrate further into the skin for more effective results. Most face serums target one of these categories:
- Exfoliation: Removes the top layer of skin for new skin to appear leading to an overall softer appearance.
- Dehydration: Adds moisturizing properties to retain water on the skin for bouncier skin.
- Oily and Acne-Prone: Controls sebum and maintains hydration so the ph becomes balanced
- Anti-Aging: Plumps skin for a more youthful appearance
- Soothing: Combats redness with calming properties
What if you have more than one concern? This leads me to the next question.
Why do we need to use so many?
Do you need 5 different face serums to tackle your issues? Many people try to do just that, but instead of improvements, they are often irritating the skin by using too many products or choosing products that do not work well with one another. The truth? You don’t need this many products.
To effectively use face serums they should be applied after cleansing and before moisturizer. Since they typically have a high concentration of actives some ingredients can counteract one another and others irritate the skin if not applied properly. This leads to redness and burning sensations. Always do a patch test before applying it all over the face. You should not have to know this information unless you are well versed in skin care formulations. So what are we supposed to use?
The best products are those you can easily incorporate into your routine. If you understand which actives should be applied first and you enjoy layering on different products then go ahead. If you’re a cleanse and moisturize kinda gal then why are you reading this article? Skip it! Most of us fall somewhere in the middle. We want easy-to-use products that don’t require too much additional work. There are plenty of other things to worry about in any given day. Which order to apply skincare products should not be one of them.
Can I use any face serum for my skin type?
Everyone has a different skin type and concerns. There is no one size fits all formula. However, having a good basic skincare routine is a must and there are some steps everyone can take to reset and nourish their skin:
- Stop exfoliating daily. Too much exfoliation leads to irritated and inflamed skin. It’s destroying the skin barrier and other ingredients are unable to effectively do their job.
- A 10-step skincare routine is not necessary. Most products need some time to fully absorb into the skin before another product can be applied. With 10-steps you’ll be spending an hour in the bathroom and no one has that much time.
- Just like everything else in life, it takes time to see results. Many people switch products if they do not see results immediately. There are products that claim to have immediate results, but the effects do not last long. Consistent routines lead to desired results.
How much do I need to spend on a high-quality product?
There is a wide range in price. Serums with high-quality active ingredients will have a higher price tag. Ingredients that are safer for the skin require more work to acquire and are reflected in the price. The key is finding products that fit your budget and match your values.
It’s a journey to find a product that consistently works for you. At Kàn Studio we’re all about eliminating extra steps in our routines and keeping things simple.
Let us know in the comments what products you’re using to streamline your day.